Sunday 23 December 2012

Day 23 - "Don't wake me up 'til tomorrow" by Jon Boden (2009)



“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!” – Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

As we’ve all managed to survive the end of the world more or less intact, it’s time to think about rebuilding our shattered civilization. What will the post-apocalyptic landscape look like? The clean cut, sterile dystopia of Logan’s Run? The barren wastelands of the Fallout games? The badlands of Mad Max or the sinister zombified world of Resident Evil?  

This is a theme which has been explored with various degrees of success in recent years. Love them or hate them, My Chemical Romance’s Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys was an unusual record charting the battles of the fictional band (The Fabulous Killjoys of the title) with a sinister corporation controlling a post-apocalyptic desert landscape. Needless to say, I loved it – emo rock being one of my foremost guilty pleasures.

Similarly ambitious was today’s effort from folk music hero Jon Boden, who also serves as the frontman of the wonderful Bellowhead. Boden – whose projects have also included releasing a different folk song for every day of the year – set himself the task of charting a post-apocalyptic Britain through the medium of folk. Brilliantly, he uses one of the most traditional forms of music to imagine a world of radically new traditions, in which familiar elements of the modern world combine with folk music to produce something which sounds simultaneously ancient and disconcertingly of the here and now. “Dancing in the Factory”, for example, recalls an ominous disaster which has destroyed society while also giving voice to the frustrations of its young protagonist:

And all that I can think about is wood smoke in the valley
Kisses in the fallout shelter, dancing in the factory
That closed so long ago, and no-one ever goes there now

Throughout the album, images of traditional English country life combine with modernity in potentially disturbing combinations. The church bells now ring out for “curfew”; parish boundaries are marked by “ivy and barbed wire”; a sweetheart gathers “plastic bags in green and gold” for his April Queen; another character ponders those who burn “sacrificial gasoline”, while the traditional ceremony of beating the parish boundaries proceeds  “Past the long neglected cars/Rusting in suburban yards”. This post-apocalyptic society is traumatised – and in responding to the end turns backwards. In today’s song, religion takes on an ominous face as “preachers” recruit young men to further their schemes and military endeavours, and the flooded world tries to forget the civilization which continues to fall around its ears.

There is no hope in dystopia – but it can still have potentially positive functions. As listeners in the pre-apocalypse world we can (potentially at least) use the glimpse into the future to encourage us, Scrooge like, to try and change things and avoided the flooded nightmare that Boden imagines – “if the courses be departed from, the ends will change”.

Don’t Wake Me Up ‘til Tomorrow (Boden, 2010)

“Don’t wake me up,” the blind man cries
“Spare me your prophecies and your schoolboy lies
I can see well enough when I close my eyes
Don’t wake me up ‘til tomorrow”

For I have seen a thousand dreams
And dreamed a thousand sorrows
Don’t wake me up ‘til the grey cock crows
Don’t wake me up ‘til tomorrow

The preacher’s men were back last night
New sermons on the common
And Sarah James’ only son
Has left to join their summoning

I saw her kiss the boy goodbye
The villagers all standing by
To watch the child they never knew departing

And the leaves are turning brown again
And whitethorn blossoms on the lawn
And everywhere the quiet shame
Of hopelessness is dawning

But I have dreamed a thousand dreams
And dreamed a thousand sorrows
Don’t wake me up ‘til the darkness goes
Don’t wake me up ‘til tomorrow

From Bramwell down to Blind Man’s Copse
And in the fields above us
The earth is flecked with grey and white –
Paper blossoms in the coppice

And here and there the books still burn
The fire consumes, the pages turn
We strike like Titans to unlearn
And dream of winter’s solace

But I have dreamed a thousand dreams
And dreamed a thousand sorrows
Don’t wake me up ‘til the grey cock crows
Don’t wake me up ‘til tomorrow

“Don’t wake us up,” the sinners say
“Don’t take these foolish dreams away
There will be time enough come judgement day
Don’t wake us up ‘til tomorrow”

Don’t wake me up ‘til the sun’s so high
That night can never follow
Don’t wake me up, don’t break me down
Don’t wake me up ‘til tomorrow



No comments:

Post a Comment